Oro del Desierto: the best organic extra virgin olive oil in the world
- Origin of extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto
- Organic EVOO
- Awards of organic EVOO Oro del Desierto in the world
- Arbequina, hojiblanca, picual and coupage: olive varieties from Oro del Desierto EVOO
- Elaboration method of the Oro del Desierto extra virgin olive oils
- Health benefits of the Oro del Desierto Organic EVOO
- Combinations with extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto
Oro del Desierto is a family business, founded in 2000 by the Alonso family. It received numerous national and international awards and recognitions since 2003 for its quality and its production method. Oro del desierto extra virgin olive oil has been exported to more than 20 countries and continues to grow internationally.
Oro del Desierto extra virgin olive oil comes from the province of Almería, exactly in Tabernas. The characteristics of the land located in this area are very good for the production of extra virgin olive oil thanks to the fact that they receive around 3,000 hours of sunshine each year and stable temperatures during the majority of the year. Its local and organic grown olives make one of the best organic EVOOs in the world.
Our Oro del Desierto products
The system used by the producers of this extra virgin olive oil is respectful with the environment and preserves the fertility of the land. This is achieved by optimizing natural resources, without using chemical products, in the cultivation and in the production of the oil.
These oils contain the certification of organic production by the European Union. This certification is obtained thanks to the following factors: the use of environmental degradation processes, taking measures to improve the quality of the soil, plague and diseases control of the olive, using natural control factors, soil fertility and adequate use of water.
The method of making these oils is sustainable thanks to the reuse of resources. All the residual material from the extra virgin olive oil extraction period is used for different purposes related to the production process and the maintenance of the oil mill. The pits of the olives are reused for the combustion of the oil mill and, once dried, it is used as feed for sheep and goats, to later convert it into compost. The energy used in the oil mills is photovoltaic. Both oil and the production are 100% ecological.
The Oro del Desierto extra virgin olive oil has numerous awards and recognitions around the world. Most of the awards this oil has obtained have been in Italy and Spain. They are also included in different olive oil guides. For example, it has been included in the Italian guide to olive oils Flos Olei in the years 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. It also obtained the gold medal in 2012 in the BIOL 2012 contest or in the terraoleum contest obtained in 2014, in Jaén. In addition to the numerous recognitions that these oils have obtained both in Spain and Italy, they also have numerous recognitions in countries such as Japan, the United States, Germany, Greece and China.
These oils are exported to more than 20 countries located in Europe, America and Asia. Spain and Italy are two of the most representative. In Europe, this oil is exported to countries such as France, Sweden, the Netherlands and Belgium, among several others. In America, this oil is exported to the United States, Canada, Peru, Mexico, Colombia, Panama and Brazil. In Asia, it is exported to South Korea, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Japan, the Philippines and the United Arab Emirates.
Its amount of national and international awards and in all the countries in which this oil is commercialized and valued show that it is an oil of excellent quality.
Those are the Oro del Desierto ecological EVOO awards obtained in 2020:
- FLOSOLEI 2020 – 99/100 points. Roma, Italia – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Top 25 Guía Iberoleum 2020 to the best spanish olive oils, Jaén (Spain) – Oro del Desierto Picual 93,5 Points
- Best of the world in monocultivar olive oil expo bio 2020. Milan – Italy 9,8/10 points – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Gold medal in the Iberian olive oil competition 2020, 88/96 points Academia del Vino, Córdoba. Spain – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Top 100 EVOOLEUM 2020 89/96 points, Córdoba, Spain – Oro del Desierto Picual
- EXTRAGOLD MEDAL BIOL 2020 (Italy) – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Absolute winner, 1st place intense fruit organic category – Terraoleum 2020, Jaén – Spain. Oro del Desierto Picual
- Finalist – Gran Menzione Organic – Leone D’oro 2020. Italia – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Premier (top award), Olive Japan 2020 – Tokyo (Japan) – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Best of Spain, Olive Japan 2020 – Tokyo (Japan) – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Gold Medal, NYOOC 2020 – New York (USA) – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Great Gold Medal Ecotrama 2020. Córdoba (Spain) – Oro del Desierto Picual
- Top 10 Guía Iberoleum 2020 to the best spanish olive oils, Jaén (Spain) – Oro del Desierto Coupage 95 Points
- Best Scent of the year en monocultivar olive oil expo 2020. Milan – Italia 9,6/10 points – Oro del Desierto Coupage
- EXTRAGOLD MEDAL BIOL 2020 (Italy) – Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Absolute winner, 1st place medium fruit organic category – Terraoleum 2020, Jaén – Spain.Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Finalist – Gran Menzione Blends- Leone D’oro 2020. Italia – Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Gold Medal, Olive Japan 2020 – Tokyo (Japan) Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Gold Medal, NYOOC 2020 – New York (USA) Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Great Gold Medal Ecotrama 2020. Córdoba (Spain) – Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Gold Medal, EVO IOOC Competition, Palmi – Italy 2020. Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Best of Spain, EVO IOOC Competition, Palmi – Italy 2020. Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Double Gold Medal, contest ATHENS IOOC 2020, Atenas (Greece) – Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Gran menzione l’orciolo d’oro 2020. Medium intensity organic. Italy – Oro del Desierto Coupage
- Gold Medal, Olive Japan 2020 – Tokyo (Japan) Oro del Desierto Arbequina
- 7th world’s best oragnic olive mill 2019/20 world’s best olive Oils
The Oro del Desierto extra virgin olive oils have been produced mainly using the following varieties of olives: Picual, Arbequina, Hojiblanca and Coupage. These olives have been extracted from the previously mentioned ecological crops and in the Oro del Desierto oil mill.
Extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto arbequina
This extra virgin olive oil is extracted from Arbequina olives. Its harvesting stage is between mid-October and early November. This is done when between 75% and 80% of the olives are still green. This type of olive is characterized by its intense golden color to the eye with green reflections. It has a sweet, enveloping and slightly spicy flavor and with the aroma of fresh almonds and fruits.
Extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto picual
This olive oil is extracted from olives of the picual variety. Its harvesting phase is between mid-October and mid-November at the farm “el vicario”, located in Desierto de las Tabernas (Almería). This process is carried out when between 65 and 75% of the olives are green. As for the color, it is intense green to golden with reflections. On the nose, it has a persistent and harmonious aroma, with a medium-high fruity touch with the aroma of freshly cut grass, leaf, fig tree and stem. As for the flavor, it is intense, with bitter and spicy touches in low intensity.
Extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto hojiblanca
This olive oil is extracted from Hojiblanca olives. Its harvesting phase is between the end of October and the beginning of November at the farm “el vicario”, located in Desierto de las Tabernas (Almería). This process is carried out when 60% - 70% of the olives are still green. As for color, it is of a very intense golden color. On the nose, it has a powerful and enveloping aroma, with touches of mid-ripe tomato, green apple and banana. In the mouth, it has a soft and enveloping flavor with touches of lettuce and almonds.
Extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto coupage
This olive oil is extracted from olives of the Arbequina, Hojiblanca and Picual varieties in different percentages, which can be variable. Olives are stored in 2000 liter batches where they are analyzed and selected. Its harvesting phase is between mid-October and mid-November at “el vicario” farm, located in the Desierto de las Tabernas (Almería). As for the color, it is leaf green with golden tints. On the nose, it has notes of freshly cut grass, tomato and green olives. In the mouth, it has hints of olive, it is slightly bitter and spicy in more intensity.
The method of elaboration of the Oro del Desierto extra virgin olive oils is very marked, always preserving the sustainability of the landscape and the ecological production methods that are used. This method has not changed very much for centuries, but improvements and mechanization processes have been introduced to improve them. Automatic processes have been introduced in order to improve the production process, using suitable materials for hygiene, computerization and monitoring.
First of all, we have the harvest time. This is done early and manually. This process is aided by other mechanical procedures that ensure that the freshly harvested olives arrive at the factory soon. It is a way of guaranteeing that the product used is local, so the quality of the olive is also maintained. Afterwards, the olives are ground and centrifuged 8 hours after their harvest maximum. Water is added to facilitate separation and filtered. Later, it is stored in stainless steel tanks in a controlled atmosphere. Finally, it is bottled in glass or canned to ensure that the oil is marketed in the best conditions.
As is well known to all, organic extra virgin olive oil has numerous health benefits supported by numerous scientific studies. Here we will name some of its main health benefits:
It is a powerful source of natural antioxidants, which help us fight bacterial and viral infections.
It prevents diseases such as diabetes.
Helps improving skin quality.
It contributes positively to our cardiovascular health, thanks to its content in polyphenols and vitamin E.
Contains Oleocanthal, a powerful anti-inflammatory.
Improves intestinal health
Polyphenols may contribute to the treatment of patients with COVID-19, thanks to their high content of polyphenols. A study by the University of Jaén confirms that it may prevent the appearance of serious symptoms. This study is still ongoing, but it could yield very promising results during the coming months.
Like other products such as wine, olive oils have very diverse combinations. This may vary depending on the vintage, the type of olive and even the climate in which they have been harvested.
Combinations organic extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto arbequina
This extra virgin olive oil is perfect for making desserts, making sauces and in fish and seafood. The ideal is to take it raw or low temperature to appreciate all its aromatic and taste properties. Thanks to its high level of polyphenols, it makes it very easy to preserve and of a very powerful flavor.
Combination organic extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto hojiblanca
This extra virgin olive oil is perfect to take in green salads, with toasts, fresh cheese, meat sauces, cold soups, salmorejo and white garlic. It is advisable to take it at cold or at low temperature to fully appreciate all its properties. This oil has a very long shelf life and has a very high value in polyphenols.
Combination organic extra virgin olive oil Oro del Desierto picual
This oil is highly recommended to take in salads, with tomato bread, stews and sauces, gazpacho and salmorejo. It is also very recommended for fried foods, it gives them a nice and silky touch. It can be used both for cooking and raw, thanks to its high content of oleic acid and antioxidants. Its conservation time is much longer, reaching up to two years.